Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 2~ 31 Days of Halloween Wicked Blogger Challenge Day 2

Day 2 of the Smeared and Smudged 31 Days of Halloween Challenge, Wicked Blogger!

Thanks for comin' back today! I appreciate all of the wonderful Hoppers! Pick up the Hop at any spot but do make sure you see all the wonderfulness out there! Your Blog Roll is there on the right, Happy Hopping! Right now you are at Kim~Tangled Blue Rose.

For all the details on 31 DOH 2014, please check Terra's blog, HERE  Remember there are prizes for Hoppers and a cool scavenger hunt, too!

Today I have a repurposed fruit jar made into a not so scary Halloween Lantern.



I found these pot jars at Walmart for about $1. The fruit is ok, I really just wanted the jar:)

Emptied and cleaned ofc. The bottom layer is covered with deli wrap painted with various Distress Paints. Then I torn it up once it was dry. I adhered it to the glass with Mod Podge. While that was drying, I stamped the images onto a stretchy gauze bandage with Jet Black Archival Ink. While the Mod Podge was still tacky, I swear it never dries fully(!) I wrapped the glass in the bandage. I used a brush and pressed into the fabric some more Mod Podge.







To light it up for the photos here I just used an LED flashlight. For display I will use an LED tea light that flickers. I don't wanna use a real candle with the Mod Podged paper... and to avoid potential disaster at home.




The intricate stamp looks cool unlit, but.......


The awesome detail gets lost when you light it up, I think simple is a bit better:)



Happy Hoppin'! Don't forget your next stop is found right under Kim at the Neon Skele back at the top:)

Have a spooky day!
~kim






21 comments:

  1. Hiya Kim, I love your altered jar, I think it's a great idea - I am certainly going to try something similar. I should think it looks brilliant when it's lit up.
    Sue
    The Nanny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yeah girl, way to use those $$'s. Would link stamping on cheese cloth would not be the easiest thing. Fab stamps and if you don't mind where and what is the spider clock stamp from and called? Love it. Wonderful creativity and killer black yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love all the great ideas out there from everyone.
      The stamp is from Hampton Art Graphic 45 "Steampunk Spells" the item number is SC0654. I found it recently at Michaels Craft Store.

      Delete
  3. Great recycling and fun project! thanks for the tut. gonna have to try this fab idea. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stamping the gauze is genius! I am learning so much from you awesome artists! This jar is wonderful! And I hope to have one in my house if I can find the time this month! You inspired me big time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project and another new idea (stamping gauze) for me.

    I laugh sometimes when I see jars at thrift stores, thinking for the same price I could buy them filled at the grocery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and so true! I'm always looking at the jars at the market and wondering hmmmm......

      Delete
  6. Nice way to create a Halloween candle jar especially with gauze wrapping and stamped images

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh fabulous jar! What a great idea - love the gauzy look to the covering, and fab stamping on there! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative idea, Kim! I can see this looking very spooky lit in a dark room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative use of these little jars. Could use baby food jars as well or even larger ones. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose job with the jar and the bandage! I love Mod Podge!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative! Thanks for the instructions. Love your altered jar...shame about the fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a wonderful idea. sucks when the best part doesn't work. but the steampunk spells set that it came from has the image.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a neat idea! The gauze gives it cool texture, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! I have a bunch of bottles and jars to work on. I think the detailed stamp looks pretty cool lit. The spiderweb really shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastically spooky lantern, and the stamped images turned out beautifully clear on the bandage :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun altered jar lantern, I love the texture and the images you used!

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and words!
~~
A note regarding the GDPR and EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog.
People entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway promoted here, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner.
Thank you.