Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 5~Kickstart Your Art~Use An Organic Medium~Smeared and Smudged January 2015 Challenge

Day 5 of Kickstart Your Art!

I am playing along with the 7 day challenge from Smeared and Smudged, Kickstart Your Art. The Challenge is to make an art journal page a day for seven days. One each day following the daily prompt.

Today's prompt is Use An Organic Medium! You can join the Facebook Group to check it all out, HERE


Definitely challenging....coffee, tea...what to use?


I won't say fail.......

Well, I will say my page did not end up being as finished as I had hoped. But, there are no failures in crafting or creating. It is a play and a chance to try something new. 

Click each image to make it bigger, so many things to see, not hiding!





I started with a base of cheap white acrylic paint to brighten the darker paper base. On top of that I added some paper I had stamped with Distress Paint using the base of a celery bunch. LOVE the rosettes it makes :)

I edged the torn paper sections with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink. I attached these pieces using gloss medium. The background was too bright so I painted over parts lightly with Antique Linen Distress Paint.



Now the fun. 


I bought this Liquitex Blended Fibers Texture Gel awhile ago on clearance for super cheap. No clue what to do with it....soooooo I pulled out my sugar skull stencil. I wanted to try to apply the gel on top of the stencil then use spices and herbs for the obvious organic matter to create the image.


Did not go as well as I had hoped, the stencil was too intricate. The ground stuff was not fine enough.
Enough of the oregano stuck to leave the edges. The face was yuk!


I stenciled with the same gel onto a clean sheet of paper. Leaving stencil in place I sprinkled Mrs. Dash(Fiesta Lime)herb seasoning on top.  I pulled away the stencil. A bit better, some stuck.


The finer parts of the stencil were still blank, though the gel was there.  I let it dry. 

Then brewed some extra strong Cranberry Pomegranate Green Tea. The extra white paper had to go! I liked this tea because of the deep red color. I wanted to add that color to the new image.




Well for whatever reason it went bluish, LOL.  But it made a really cool resist!

I trimmed and attached. Way to much explaining! 

Definitely something I will come back to, after all for me, the art journal is a place to play and experiment.

I could not waste the tea I brewed so I soaked some sheet of deli wrap paper too. Adding to my paper stash!


Thanks so much for staying with me here!

Hope you did not get too lost and confused along this page!

Please let me know what you think, I almost did not publish this at all...

Have a super day!
~kim

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks super cool! It's great that you tried so many different things. I had major fails with the first two things I tried on my page, so I definitely think your page is a win.:) Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how those roses came out! Thanks for playing with us at KICKSTART YOUR ART!

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and words!
~~
A note regarding the GDPR and EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog.
People entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway promoted here, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner.
Thank you.