Thursday, October 23, 2014

October 23~ 31 Days of Halloween Wicked Blogger Challenge Day 23~Danza de la Muerte

Hi Happy Thursday!

Welcome to Day 23 of 31 Days of Halloween! The Smeared and Smudged 31 Days of Halloween Challenge is to create a daily project using a stamp, rubber or digi, and run from there. Remember to pop over HERE to Terra's blog to see the daily Scavenger Hunt prizes donated by our awesome sponsors and find the daily clue. You can also see all the rules there, too. For your reference I have the Wicked Blogger Hop list on the ride sidebar:)

Today's exploration comes from more banner play. This time I fell in love with a banner project made by Diana Trout and it was on her post and contest that I won the set of the ArtistCeller stencils, Danse Macabre. I used one stencil on a tag earlier in the month HERE


Click to see it bigger if you like:)

I made a long post....I hope you don't mind! 
Warning TEXT and PICTURE heavy!




I made the banner using deli paper, the same paper they use in sandwich shops to wrap up your sandwich. It is sold in the restaurant supply shops. I found some here at Smart & Final, a box of 500 sheets for about $8. It is called dry wax paper. 


I love how the light and shadows play here:)


I used Distress Paint right on my craft mat and sprayed with water. Then I pressed the deli wrap into the paint and pulled it slowly off. I made a lot of sheets, so fun to play.

Once dry I picked out the sheets I liked the best and tried the papercutting. The papercutting is just like cutting snowflakes! Fun!

Once done with cutting, I placed the dancing dead stencil where I wanted it and sponged on acrylic paint. I added more flowers using an Inkadinkado flower stamp dipped in Distress Paint. If you use paint on your stamps, make sure you wash them off as soon as you are done stamping:)





Now I wanted it to be more, lots more festive. I knew I wanted ribbon and flowers. I had ribbon that was easy. I don't have a flower stash and I really like using what I have on-hand. Besides, handmade is so much more fun.




There are lots of sources of how to make paper flowers. The easiest one is to cut up a bunch of flower shapes or even circles in whatever size you want. You can use any sort of paper too. Book pages are lots of fun.  Just cut up a bunch all basically the same size pieces. You can use a paper punch, freehand it, or use a flower die if you have a die cut machine.

I used my Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die and cheap tissue paper I had on-hand. I folded and re-folded the tissue till I had a lot of layers then placed it on the die and cut. Bit easier on the hands to do them this way.




I used the smallest flower in the set as I wanted the flowers to be close to a Marigold.

Take a stack of the cut "petals" and staple them in the middle. You can also use a brad if you like. Now starting with the top layer, gently pull it up and crunch it up, ruffle it. Proceed through each layer until they are all ruffled. It will be like a tight bud when you are done, so just ease them apart until you have the shape you like.










Along the way I found out the flowers that I had not pulled carefully off the cutter, (I dropped them all over the place) ruffled up much closer to a Marigold. The ones with all the layers aligned are still awesome but a totally different look!

I used the Dylusions spray to get the orange flowers since I did not have orange tissue. I like to spray outside on cardboard 'cuz I am a messy crafter and well the spray ink kinda goes all over.

Long winded, but I really love these flowers and wanted to share:)







Dance like no one cares!

Thanks for all your awesome visits and such wonderful inspiration to play and craft away!

~hugs~

~kim

Sharing this with the flash linky party at Stamplorations: HERE


I am entering this into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge:Anything Goes
And I am entering this into the Mixed Media Monthly October Challenege:Ribbon

16 comments:

  1. Stunning picture and those flowers look exactly like my marigolds I have growing!!! Fabulous tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your papel picado banner. Very Dia de los Muertos, especially with the traditional marigolds and bright colors. Fabulous stencil and amazing project. Thanks for the flower tut! I'll be using that for sure..and SOON! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing so much with us. I know this took a lot of effort but it also looks like fun to make.
    The colors are beautiful and handmade is always preferred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the stencil image and the colors you've used are lovely. Great flowers too - I know what you mean about sprays being messy, they other day my son asked why the front of the microwave was blue....opps! :) Love your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, this is soooo beautiful! I must confess again my love of pink and purple and the dancing skulls are my favorites! Your flowers are absolutely fabulous....love them so much!! The ribbon play is just awesome and the background beyond awesome! Your photos are so great too! In other words...WOW! I am so inspired and impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. Love the bright colors and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flowers! Thanks for all the instructions! !

    ReplyDelete
  8. supper colors. love the deers and tuts. wonderful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab project and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the spontaneity and joy of this piece. Those flowers are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wickedly fabulous and joyful creation! Love all your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous creation! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea, love those flowers! Might have to try it out myself! Thanks for playing along in the mixed media monthly challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute. Love those flowers. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool banner! Love the flower you made and the ribbons are so pretty! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very pretty project! lovely flowers! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and words!
~~
A note regarding the GDPR and EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog.
People entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway promoted here, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner.
Thank you.