Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 1~Kickstart Your Art~Smeared and Smudged Challenge

Happy Monday!

As this day winds down here I finally finished my art journal page! I am playing along with the 7 day challenge from Smeared and Smudged, Kickstart Your Art. The Challenge is to make an art journal page a day for seven days. One each day following the daily prompt.

Today's prompt is Lots of Layers! You can join the Facebook Group to check it all out, HERE


Here we go! I hope you have fun and play along this week!

Click each photo to make it grow up :)



I made my journal. Each page is just about 8.5 inches by 10.5 inches. It is made from paper grocery bags: cheap simple wonderful substrate.


Layers.....the base was covered with homemade gesso. While the gesso was wet I applied the skulls image on the right, it is a Halloween napkin. I just pressed it into the gesso.  I helped it dry with my embossing gun, it is wet and cold here today so I was too impatient to let it air dry. 

Next I applied Distress Paints in several colors, sprayed with water. The held it up to let all the paint run. I really liked as the paint hit the napkin it soaked in an made a nice effect.

On top of the Distress Paint is sprayed some ink spray and splattered some more paint on it.

Added some hearts paper tape under the Teri Sherman/Smeared Ink Skull with bow digital stamp.


I did some random stamping with paint. I made the sentiment page with one of my favorite Tim Holtz stamps and used Distress Inks, Black Soot and Vintage Photo on the edges.


In case you are interested this is the backside of the page, there is minimal bleed-through. I think the gesso helps stop that. I love the wrinkly texture. After I cut up the bags I got them wet. Then after they air dried I ironed them. The idea for this journal came from this wonderful blog HERE by Judy Wise.

My journal is naked, it has no covers. I will get to it....... :)









Now, as it says, "Live the live you've imagined"

Go play and get inky and painty.

This was a super fun day! LOVE this play:)

~hugs~

~kim

Also sharing with Smudgy Antics: Anything Goes.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome page, love the layers and textures and the fab colors. Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, A fantstic page, love the layers and the colours.

    Hugs Erin xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your texture and layers are awesome! Thanks for playing along with our Kickstart Your Art Challenge!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the details! Great page...I too have no covers yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Love your blog and your awesome artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful page and I love that you made your own journal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool journal page :) thanks for joining the SAC / dt lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous page, I love all that texture, thanks for playing along with us at Smudgy Antics x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just Fabulous. A great Art Journal page here. Love it. Thanks for joining in with us at Smudgy Antics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cool textures. I love the colors. Every time I look at it I see something new. Hope to see you next month.

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and words!
~~
A note regarding the GDPR and EU ePrivacy Regulation:

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so on the understanding that their name and personal details will be visible to anyone who visits this blog.
People entering a piece of artwork into any competition or giveaway promoted here, they do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to our use of that personal information should it be selected as a winner.
Thank you.